Tuesday, July 3, 2007

WEEKS, Pt. 1

Conceived while driving to work last week.

MONDAY

I hate Mondays. A lot of people say that, and I’m sure they mean it. But I don’t just hate the first day of the week. I hate Mondays. If the day was taken out of the calendar and Tuesday became the first day of the work week, I wouldn’t hate it as much. I just plain hate Mondays.

And this Monday started out no different from the rest. I woke up and cursed the alarm clock with its increasingly loud buzzer. I keep it across the room to force me up. After a quick yawn and stretch, I did the treadmill for thirty minutes while watching the morning news: more of the same. Breakfast was cereal with sliced bananas and strawberries. I try to keep healthy.

The commute is the last temptation of man. Those who can resist its rage-inducing atmosphere are stronger than I.

In the rear view mirror I spot that lights I knew would catch up to me eventually. It was a trooper on his moped. He signaled with his hand to pull over. I turned up the radio for one defiant moment, then shut it off and pull to the curb.

No comments: