Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Scenario Study

Sun sets over Los Angeles.

I've heard people talk of the great wide open before, but to see it for myself was something I never imagined possible.

Lights flicker in between silhouetted palm trees in a darkening blue sky. A sliver of a moon hangs low, still on its way up for its nightcap.

Workmen come home and lock their cars, lock their fences, lock their doors. The air hangs loosely, parting for anyone wanting its aromatic stillness. The last of the joggers makes her way back to the house to shower, snuggle with her family and watch their favorite program. In the East there would be hot chocolate. Here there's a banana strawberry smoothie.

I open the windows to let some of that cool air in, a sharp contrast to the hot dryness of the day. The breeze flows in, rustling the leaves of a fake house plant in the corner of the study. With it comes the soft sounds of dogs barking, cars moving, neighborly chatter, pool motors, and music.

I lean back in the chair to the full relaxed position and look out the window. I take one final, long, tasteful, soulful drag of my cigarette and crush the butt in the ashtray. I exhale.

I've discovered America.

No comments: